Please feel free to contact us. Use this form to send a message to the Chief regarding crime tips, patch requests, suggestions, questions, or anything on your mind. Do you think there is something on our site that is missing? Send a suggestion stating what you would like to see here.

Please keep in mind, we will not respond to any inappropriate or abusive comments, sales solicitations, public records requests, or requests for personal information regarding our officers and staff. We look forward to hearing from you!

201 Broadway Avenue North Buhl ID 83316 US

Buhl, Idaho

Phone:   208-543-4200 
Fax:       208-543-8831

DISCLAIMER: BPD Officers do not dispatch from this number. Please call SIRCOMM at the Non-Emergency number if you need assistance at (208) 735-1911; an officer will be dispatched to assist you.  

Send a message
Our Location

​​​​Public Record Requests:

The Idaho Public Records Law gives you the right to request any document or electronic record created and maintained by the Buhl Police Department, but there are restrictions on what information can be released.

In order to process your request for public records as efficiently as possible, all requests to examine or copy public records MUST BE MADE IN WRITING. Please help us in this process by reading the information below and filling out the form completely. The Records Manager and/or Chief of Police after consulting with the city attorney or prosecutor’s office has the final authority on whether documents are to be released.​

Law enforcement records are different than other public records:

  1. Any open, ongoing investigation must be completed and adjudicated in the court system before any records about the incident can be released.
  2. Personal identifying information must be protected per state and federal regulations.
  3. Release of information must not jeopardize a person’s right to a fair trial.

Idaho law restricts release of some types of information Idaho Statute 74-105. For example, records about matters that are under investigation or that show law enforcement investigative techniques cannot be disclosed. 

How do I request public records?
You may complete an online request above or come into City Hall at 201 Broadway Ave N. in Buhl and fill out a written request form. Be very specific about the information you are requesting. If it is a record on an individual, complete names are required with dates of birth to ensure that the right record is provided. Idaho law allows 3 to 10 business days for the Buhl Police Department to respond to your request. There may be a charge for this service. .

Will I be charged for copies of the information I request?
The Buhl Police Department has a fee schedule for larger records requests. You will be notified what cost, if any, you would be required to pay. Some or all records may have redaction(s) and fees shall be collected prior to sending any records to the city attorney or prosecutor's office for review. Costs are incurred for such things as clerical time in excess of two hours or more than one hundred (100) copied pages. For more details, see Idaho Statute 74-102.

Are there any restrictions on how I can use the information I receive?
Generally, usage for any type of mailing, electronic or telephone list is against the law. For more details, see Idaho Statute 74-120.

How long will it take to get the records I request?
It usually takes 3-10 business days from the receipt of your request to receive your records. For more details, see Idaho Statute 74-103.

How will I know if my request has been granted or denied?
If your public information request is approved, the requested documents will be released to you by way of the delivery method specified on your request. If your request is denied, you will receive a letter explaining the reason for the denial. For more details, see Idaho Statute 74-103.

Can I protest (appeal) if my request is denied?
Yes. A petition must be filed within 180 days of the date that the denial letter is mailed. For more details, see Idaho Statute 74-115.

How do I request a background check on someone?
The Buhl Police Department does not provide background checks for the public.

If you want to check the criminal record of a new employee or someone who may be in contact with children or if you have concerns about a person’s past, you can request a statewide background check. These are done through the Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI). BCI’s address and phone number are as follows: 700 S. Stratford Dr., Meridian, ID 83642 Phone: (208) 884-7130.

If you have other questions or need additional information, you can contact our Records Department at 208-543-4200 or     


Buhl Police Record's Department hours of business are Monday-Thursday 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. They are CLOSED on Fridays and Holidays.

Buhl Police Department